Friday, January 3, 2014

I believe in miracles!

Wow, where to start! The theme of this week is MIRACLES. 

We had a zone meeting on Wednesday and our zone goals were raised again. Instead of telling us about teaching tips, or some smart new way to introduce the Book of Mormon, our leaders told us we just needed to be exactly obedient to the rules and standards of the mission. Simply lang. At first I couldn't help but be a little discouraged, this area has been a little tough work-wise! But I've been studying a lot of Christlike attributes lately so I decided to HUMBLE myself and stop trying to rely on my own skills and abilities, as well as to do everything I could to be EXACTLY obedient to every mission rule. Disclaimer: Not that I haven't been obedient, but the fact of making it a central focus to everything I do and not forgetting to apply the faith that blessings WILL come. 

The next day we leave the house for our first appointment. We had two people planned before lunch and as we were walking to the first I felt that we should go to the second plan first, so we changed routes to go there. About 2 minutes later a woman rides by on a trike and stops and yells to us and runs over, introduces herself as a member from Galo (a ward just a ways over) and tells us that God has placed us here at this very moment to answer her prayers. She then proceeds to tell us that a few nights ago a 10 year old little girl showed up on her doorstep after running away from an abusive situation. The girl spent the night and then in the morning the member contacted her parents so they could come pick her up, reassuring the girl that she would help her. When the parents came this member took an opportunity to share her testimony of the gospel and told them she was sure that the church had everything they needed to fix their family problems, the family then agreed to learn more. The member woke up Thursday morning and told Heavenly Father what she was trying to do and asked for Him to guide her to know how to help this family. She then felt impressed to go visit the family and on her way she saw me and my companion walking, only two houses away from the family's home. She told us all of this and then took us to meet this family, a mom and dad, aunt and uncle, 5 little boys, and the one runaway girl. The member explained to them what had happened, told them it was God telling them they needed to listen to us, and then we sat down and shared with them the first part of the restoration of the gospel, explaining their relationship with Heavenly Father and how His plan is to bless their family in every aspect. As we taught I for whatever reason felt a really special connection about the girl, Sarah. I don't know whether its just because I feel so tender about anyone who has to deal with abuse, but I really feel that she is special. Me and my companion walked away from the appointment with our jaws to the floor. I just kept saying "Milagro gid, Sister!!!". It really was a miracle. And I'm so so so grateful the Spirit prompted me to change plans last second so that we would be right in the path of the member. Sarah and Jason, one of the boys, came to church with us on Sunday and we'll be extending baptism dates to them and their family when we meet with them later in the week. 

Next, we went to visit a less active man, Brother Teotimo, he is about 2484 years old, skinnier than a broom handle, and has this one eye thats all silver. We go by a few times a week and read the Book of Mormon to him. We went by on Thursday and when we walk up to the spot where he is always sitting he says "Ay, Sisters, seguro magkadto kita  sa balay didto sa piyak. (Sisters, maybe we'll go over to that house.) and gets up and walks towards a house, so we just follow... Living in the house is a former investigator that Brother Teotimo knows and he surprised both us and her with the visit, walked in and said "Ara mga Sisters diri, pamatii ka sa ila ha!|"(The sisters are here, listen to them!). We are now in the process of teaching her again. We asked Brother Teotimo why he decided to introduce us and he said that God told him this woman needed the gospel and he knew that we had it, so he waited around all day for us to come so that he could introduce us. This work is moving forward and Heavenly Father will use anyone, even an old less active man, to accomplish what He needs done! 

Many other things happened this week, miracles one and all, and I know its because when you obey with a willing heart Heavenly Father will bless you! I think that Heavenly Father has just been waiting for me to learn a few more things before answering my prayers about this area ;) 

Sister Lisaca is hilarious, a mixture of Dobby and Golum. She gets scared so easily and always repeats loudly the last thing she said, heard, or thought, when she gets shocked. For instance a plate drops and she is singing silent night "Night night night night night night!" or her pen drops when we're planning "Mary lou lou lou lou lou lou lou lou lou!" its sooooooo funny! Also, I don't remember if I told you about everyone's love here for... chicken heads?? Yeah. At the BBQ stands here you will find chicken heads, chicken feet, intestines, and blood. No joke. And I didn't recognize at first what it was and then when I did Sister Lisaca was like "No! Its not yuck! Its delicious! Namit gid! The brain is the best part, I love to eat the chicken brains, they are like chocolate!" She kept trying to get me to try some... I'll make sure when I do that I'll video it for you guys. 

All the kids here call me "Bulbolan-on" (Sister Judd, ask your teacher what that is ;) ). 

There are carolers EVERYWHERE here. All night every night the kids go around caroling. When I first heard that they did caroling here at Christmas I got so excited, but they just sing Tagalog songs :/ I was so excited to hear "Jingle Bells" and all the rest. Its really cute to see, but the problem is the kids here carol for money... so when they see a white person walking around they think its their lucky night. I am constantly SWARMED with carolers hahaha. And I feel so bad cause all I can give them is pamphlets hahaha. I'll try and send a picture, I was attacked by about 12 of them and I had to give them all the pamphlets that I had, it was like being robbed by a bunch of little kids, and I took a picture and they're all holding up like Law of Chastity pamphlets and Tithing pamphlets hahaha. One time, this little boy came up all on his own to carol and just started singing for me while I was at a chungey making change, so I bought him a little cookie and hurried and gave it to him and walked away so the other kids wouldn't see and want one too. 

Its so weird to be walking down the street, in 100 million degree weather, hearing "Last Christmas" playing from houses. And its so weird to think what I was doing this time last year! Talk about changes! I honestly love it though. Sometimes I just look around and recognize where I am and what I'm doing and its so hard to wrap my head around it! Going on a mission is literally the best decision I have ever made. Its changing me in all the important ways. In the MTC my companion, Sister Roos, kept talking about how much she wanted to change before she came home, and I was thinking "I don't wanna change!!" hahaha but I've realized that its not that I'll lose my sense of humor, or my interests, or my personality, those aren't the changes that matter. I'm becoming the person that I need to be. I'm becoming the person that I WANT to be. Stupidly, before my mission I thought I was soooo ready to get married! HAHAHAHA. I have no idea how I could be the kind of wife and mother that I need and want to be without these 18 months!! Sometimes when I'm sitting in someones house that is 5ft by 5ft, eyeing rats in the corner, trying to block out the smell of human waste coming from somewhere wayyyy to close, and tuning out the neighbors fighting next door...
 and somehow loving every second of it... I think back to the girl who took a screwdriver to the movie theater because she was afraid of being locked in. To the girl who screamed bloody murder at any hint of a spider. To the girl who was terrified of strangers. To the girl who didn't like riding in a car that was too cluttered. The girl who didn't want to repeat an outfit more than once in two weeks. The girl who couldn't live without music or talking to her family every day. The girl who read scriptures for 30 seconds before bed at night, AFTER spending an hour on facebook, pinterest, twitter, and instagram. The girl who was a notoriously picky eater. The girl who was so grossed out by sweating. I COULD GO ON FOREVER. Heavenly Father knew this girl and sent to her the exactly perfect place where she could experience the most growth and learn how to reach her potential. One night when Sister Becerra and I were first put together she was telling me how she was so impressed that I was so confident and unaffected by anyone and anything. I don't say this to brag but to show to those who know me what Heavenly Father has done for me. And this is only the beginning! When I come home, I won't be a stiff who doesn't think anything is funny. I won't have a different personality or different taste and likes. But I will be different :) THANK GOODNESS :)

Once again, I LOVE hearing how you all are doing!!! Sera, hope you feel better! Hannah, you are gorgeous as always! Clay, I know you did amazing at your piano recital! Nate, I am soooo proud of you buddy! You are a warrior! Cam and Alyne, I ruv yew tew sewwwwww mech! Mom and Dad. No words :) Thank you all for being the BEST family that I could ever imagine being apart of!!!! I hope you all have an amazzzzing week! 

All my love, Sister Manwaring

No comments:

Post a Comment