Monday, February 24, 2014

Golden week!

I GOT MY PACKAGE. Literally, I have the best family ever. The perfume is exactly the same that Lana wore all through school and me and Sera would always steal a spray when we were at her house (sorry Lana!) so I LOVE it and it brings so many happy memories. Those pictures- PERFECT. Hahaha good old trek days, my beautiful family, my celebrity couple brother and sister-in-law. Those pictures of Christ and stickers are invaluable here.. I have to keep the stickers secret and use them only for very deserving children or else they would be gone in a second! The Hawaii calendars! Ah! I put them both up. First time I've kept up any kind of calendar on my mission. Hymn book!!! YES. I don't know why I didn't think to get one way back before I left?? So nice to have one. The letters from the ward... I DIED laughing. GRANDPA'S JOURNAL- more on that later. I'm addicted to it. YOU ARE ALL THE BEST AND I LOVE YOU SOOOOOSOSOSOSO MUCH. 

We had our mission president's training this week, as you saw from his facebook pictures. (ps. If you're going to comment on those pictures, know that I don't ever see them. We don't have access to president's facebook, he made a joke about some comments apparently where people write as if they are talking to me and I can see. He wants us to remind you that we can't haha.) The training was really great. Sister Judd was there so I was in heaven. Honestly, its SURREAL having her here. Hahahahaha she told me that a bunch of youth in her ward found her facebook and saw the picture of her with Jef Holm and now they're convinced that that is her boyfriend hahaha even when she tried to explain to them that he is a celebrity they were like "Oh my gosh you're dating a celebrity!" hahaha. Shes been having these dreams of the two of us in post-mission life doing things like making lunch for our kids and calling each other just so that we can speak Hiligaynon to each other. Its so weird to think that we are going to be those people, my kids are going to grow up with mom calling her mission friends and speaking some weird language. 
     Sister Becerra was also there, dang I love her. Heavenly Father sent THE BEST people to my mission. 

I'm on a cooking experimentation kick this week. I've been making veggie wraps with boiled cabbage, carrots, cucumber, egg and tuna. I also got tired of eating plain apples, so I took some sliced almonds that I found in the back corner of the market, diced the apples and fried them in a pan with the almonds and some honey, cinnamon, and vanilla. So good. The members have also been super awesome, giving me jackfruit, star apples, and these bright pink salted eggs. YUM. 

Culture shock moment of the week: We're teaching in a Less Active's house and they have this new litter of about 3437243 puppies and one of the puppies peed all over the floor... then all the little puppies went walking through it tracking it everywhere... then one of the little barefoot kids slipped in the pee... and just kept on playing... then one of the puppies pooped.. and all the little kids and puppies were almost stepping in it.. until the mom dog went and ate it. Ate the poop. Just a little distracting for me at this point haha. And its not even like clean dog poop and pee from water and fancy dog food, its from rubbish that they've found on the side of the road. Gross. 

I finished the book of mormon again. That book just gets more and more true every time I read it. The gospel is like a relationship, if you work at it and keep studying, keep putting yourself into it, it will get better and better with time. There won't come a day when you are bored with reading the book of mormon, bored with living the gospel. As long as you make the effort to not just "have gospel study" but to study the gospel, you will find it building upon itself and growing over time. I love the gospel more today than I did when I was 8 years old and I'll love it even more than today when I am 88 years old. 

Sera, a jeepney parked outside is playing Total Eclipse of The Heart. KILL ME. 

As I mentioned before, I am addicted to Grandpa's autobiography. I HAVE THE COOLEST GRANDPA EVER. In the chronological section he mentioned the popular tv shows, many of which are my favorites, Donny and Marie, The Red Skelton Show, All In The Family, The Bob Hart Show, etc. The section about his mission, both his personal mission and his and grammas couples missions, inspires me to do my absolute best every day of mine. Reading about his family and friends and realizing that I've been able to meet many of them, so cool. Like "Uncle Chuck", I was too young to know if its the same uncle chuck that is his brother, but if it is and hes the one who lives in Logan and was a patriarch, I remember a visit to his house wherein he gave me a buffalo coin. (I hope its the same person or thats embarrassing haha). I found out that at one point he was roommates in England during the war with Alven Gittens, the man who would end up drawing the picture of the prophet Joseph Smith that is in every copy of the Book of Mormon and I use every day when teaching about that book. His experiences in WW II are humbling and aweing. I can't believe that this man is my grampa and that I spent all that time with him having no idea of any of his life. 

Gernalyn Ledesma was baptized this week!! A little girl from a less active family who is super pure and precious. The ward made a good attendance which was really important because her mom had work, her dad isn't a member, and she was only accompanied by her 2 sisters for the most special day up to this point in her life. Sister Oquias and I stood at the side of the font to go back into the CR with her to change, I love witnessing baptisms, such a special spirit is present. We went back to change her, poor thing didn't even bring a towel. That one missing element shot me back to my own baptism as I remembered mom drying me off as I came out of the font- the look on her face was absolute joy and I still feel the spirit strongly when I think of it and remember as she explained to me how special my baptism was. We tried to make it a very special day as well for Gernalyn but mostly I was just utterly grateful for my own loving family and baptism experience. 

Jade. Jade is a 15 year old boy who we found through friends of an investigator. He has been coming to church for the past 3 weeks and we hadn't yet had a chance to teach him, because of his busy work schedule, until yesterday. Wow. We taught him in a members home, he had been taught the restoration a few months back so we reviewed with him. He was extremely receptive, taking in everything with a great memory of what he'd been taught before. We had planned to extend baptism to him finally and needed to know if he had any word of wisdom problems so that we knew what date we could extend. We transitioned to W.O.W. only to find out that he has absolutely no problems. Like none. He is a 15 year old filipino boy who is working in construction.. and he has no problems. Not only that, but he was adamant that he didn't, sharing about the harmful effects of those things, beating us to it. So we extend baptism and he is already saying yes before we can finish the question, as if he's just been waiting the whole lesson for us to ask (which we later found out he was). We asked if he thought he could get permission from his parents. HE HAD ALREADY ASKED. AS IN. So basically, we just have to get him everything taught and he can be baptized. It was incredible, I couldn't hide my shock. Sister Oquias and I were just awed the whole night. GOLDEN. 

Heavenly Father seriously is just pouring out the blessings in this area. It is such an enjoyable time to see the progression of so many people. I've been striving for our mission goal of weekly baptisms ever since I reported to the field and I will see it these next few weeks. So humbling. I'm so grateful. ALL THE HAPPINESS AND GOODNESS. 

I love you all more than I can ever express!!!!!! I love love love love getting your letters and emails and I feel your prayers!!!!!! I love my life. Have the best week ever :) 

All my love, Sister Manwaring 

No comments:

Post a Comment